The VCU & VUU station on the GRTC Pulse bus route services both universities in the Richmond area - Virginia Commonwealth University - Monroe Campus and Virginia Union University. Frequented by students and professional staff alike, this station is centered in a bustling environment of restaurants, shopping and a sports entertainment center.
Virginia Commonwealth University:
Two blocks south on Franklin Street is Founders Hall, an 1885 mansion that was built as a private home but later played an important role in the formative years of what became Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU). In 1917, a group of community leaders founded the Richmond School of Social Economy, which was soon expanded and renamed the Richmond School of Social Work and Public Health. In 1925, the school became affiliated with the College of William and Mary, and the house at the corner of Franklin and Shafer streets was purchased for its new headquarters. In 1939, the school’s name was changed to Richmond Professional Institute (RPI) of the College of William and Mary. From 1962-1968, RPI operated as an independent school before merging with the Medical College of Virginia to form VCU. Enrollment has increased from 51 full-time students in 1925 to a current VCU population of more than 31,000 students spread between the MCV campus downtown, the Monroe Park campus in the area around the VCU-VUU GRTC Pulse Station, and a branch campus in the State of Qatar. (827 W. Franklin St., 0.2 miles.)