Explore the Past - More Scott’s Addition History

Arthur Ashe Jr.:

Arthur Ashe playing tennis
Arthur Ashe Jr., mid-20th century (Virginia Historical Society Collection)

 

Arthur Ashe Monument
Arthur Ashe Monument, 2019 (Photo by Tre Rockenbach)

 

 

At the intersection of Monument Avenue and Roseneath Road you will find the statue that in 1996 changed the theme and conversation about Richmond’s grand boulevard – the monument to tennis great and humanitarian Arthur Ashe Jr. Born in Richmond in 1943, Ashe moved away when he was 17 in order to escape the segregation in the South that prevented him from competing against white players and practicing on better-quality tennis courts. Ashe became the first African-American man to win the U.S. Open (1968), the Australian Open (1970) and Wimbledon (1975), before contracting AIDS from a blood transfusion and dying in 1993. The addition of Ashe to Monument Avenue was met with opposition from some white residents wanting to preserve the street’s Confederate theme and some African-American residents, including Raymond H. Boone, publisher of the Richmond Free Press, who asked, “Why put a winner on an avenue of losers?” In the end, Richmond’s City Council decided that it was time for Monument Avenue to reflect Richmond’s diverse population and contemporary heroes. In 2019, Ashe was accorded another honor when the Boulevard, located three blocks east of this GRTC Pulse station, was renamed Arthur Ashe Boulevard. (0.4 miles.)


 

Matthew Fontaine Maury Monument:

Matthew Fontaine Maury Monument, c. 1955
Matthew Fontaine Maury Monument, c. 1955 (The Valentine, Chamber of Commerce Collection)

 


Matthew Fontaine Maury, the last Confederate to be added to Monument Avenue, took up residence at the intersection with Belmont Avenue in 1929. Although Maury was a Confederate naval commander, his monument recognizes his scientific studies of oceanography and weather patterns, and includes his nickname, “Pathfinder of the Seas.” The evocative statue created by Frederick William Sievers depicts Maury surrounded by birds, fish, bats, and jellyfish, with an octopus tentacle sneaking out of his left-hand coat pocket. A globe above Maury’s head contains relief carvings of people struggling against a stormy sea, representing the interaction between humanity, the ocean and weather. (0.2 miles.)
 

WTVR-TV:

WTVR-TV
WTVR-TV, 2019 (Photo by Tre Rockenbach)


An easy way to stay oriented in the Scott’s Addition area is to look for the nearby 843-foot-tall transmission tower, which is a Broad Street landmark belonging to WTVR-TV, Richmond’s first television station.  In 1948, auto parts dealer and radio station owner Wilbur M. Havens received approval from the FCC to become the first television broadcaster south of the Mason-Dixon Line. WTVR (Channel 6) was originally an NBC affiliate, but because Richmond was a single-station town until 1956, Havens was allowed to program his station to air ABC and CBS shows as well.  Today, WTVR-TV is Richmond’s CBS affiliate. The station’s limestone headquarters, originally a bus garage built in 1938, provides a striking example of Art Deco style. (3301 W. Broad St., 0.1 mile.)

 

The Dairy Bar / Curles Neck Dairy:

Curles Neck Dairy newspaper ad, mid-20th century
Curles Neck Dairy newspaper ad, mid-20th century

 

 

The Dairy Bar and former Curles Neck Dairy building
The Dairy Bar and former Curles Neck Dairy building, 2019 (photo by Tre Rockenbach)

 

A short walk west on Broad Street and north on Roseneath Road takes you to The Dairy Bar, “A Richmond Tradition Since 1946.” Curles Neck Dairy began in 1933 at the corner of Broad Street and Highpoint Avenue, in a building that now features a mural of Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders created in 2016 by RVA artist Mickael Broth (aka “The Night Owl”). In 1946, Curles Neck Dairy moved to the corner of Roseneath Road and Moore Street and opened The Dairy Bar as a restaurant for both Curles Neck employees and the general public. Curles Neck Dairy closed in 1980, but The Dairy Bar has continued to operate, offering breakfast and lunch seven days a week. The Dairy Bar was featured in Southern Living Magazine as one of Virginia's best places for breakfast, and has been consistently recognized by readers of Richmond Magazine as having the “Best Milkshake in Richmond.” (1602 Roseneath Road, 0.5 miles.)

 

 

Explore the Past is sponsored by VCU logo and