GRTC welcomes volunteers to assist with dismantling, recycling, and discarding outdated or damaged signs, benches, and other parts. The project is in partnership with HandsOnRVA and takes place at GRTC’s Headquarters on Belt Boulevard.
THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 29, 2018 FROM 9:00 AM - 12:30 PM
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 30, 2018 FROM 9:00 AM - 12:30 PM
REQUIREMENTS: Age Minimum (with Adult): 16+, Minimum Age: 18+
- Tasks include: using tools to dismantle signs; organizing small and large re-usable parts, moving objects to container for recycling or trash.
- Required skills: ability to use wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers or willingness to learn; ability to carry or help carry 30+ lbs. GRTC will provide wrenches, screwdrivers, and pliers.
- Required clothing: closed-toe shoes. Recommended clothing: long pants, work gloves (GRTC will have some work gloves available). The work is outside, with little shade.
- Time commitment: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Benefits to GRTC: Saves money by re-using what we can; allows paid employees to focus on providing a better GRTC system!
- Benefits to the environment: Re-use and re-cycle!
- Benefits to the volunteer: Work outside! Breathe in the fresh fall air! Get a workout moving a big pile of old signs!
Those interested in volunteering are encouraged to sign up online: https://www.handsonrva.org/opportunity/a0C1J00000HZoJMUA1. We appreciate the community’s support with this green initiative!